Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Our Second Triathlon

This Triathlon was not as good to me as the last one… I had some mechanical difficulties with my bike. If I tell you the story you have to promise that you wont think less of me. HA HA HA…

OK… so first I took a nice little 1000 meter swim in Pine View Reservoir which took me about 25 to 30 minutes. I ran up the boat ramp to get my bicycle so that I could ride around the Reservoir. I got to about mile 7 and my tire popped. I had no idea what I was going to do… I am not really the avid biker that you would think someone would need to be if they were going to do a Triathlon. (Just so you have an idea of how great of a bike I have, I got it when I was in 7th grade) So… because of the strong and determined person that I am, I continued on with the bike. I got about 7 more miles on a flat tire. At this point in the game, they had someone following me in a truck, because I was the last biker on the course. He followed me for about 2-2 ½ miles and the whole time he never thought to ask me if I was ok or if there was something that he could do for me. He just sat in his nice air-conditioned truck picking up the race signs as I passed them. So… I get about 1 mile away from the transition area, where then I am supposed to run 4 or 5 miles (I don’t remember, I didn’t get that far) and I stopped at the dudes truck and said, “I have been riding on a flat tire for quite some time now, and I think I am done”. He looked at me and said, “NO NO NO your fine, we can stay here all day. I will go and get you a pump and we will fix your tire, and you can finish the race”. I replied, “NO, you don’t understand I AM DONE, I can’t go any farther. So I hopped in his truck and he took me back. As we got there (let me just paint a picture for you of how long it took me) they were already giving out the awards to the ones that had won in their age group. Everyone was done, not just with the bike but with the run as well. I am not bitter I promise…
Below are a few pictures of Colby and I, and our team.

Us waiting to swim

Me, Colby and Ginny (Colby's sister)

This is our team
(Ginny Swanson, Me, Angela Moon, Kevin Moon,
M'lisa Jackson, Wally Nelson, and Ginny Nelson)
Don't ask me were Colby was...I think that he might of had an unsettled tummy. :(

This was everyone waiting to get in the water

Let the race begin

Getting out of the water

After the bike

Now, I am sure you are all wondering why we are torturing ourselves with doing these triathlons… Well, about a year ago, my work told all of the employees that if we completed 3 triathlons with in the year, they would take us to Hawaii. So, way back in the summer of 2007 we had almost everyone in our office on board. (There are about 15 employees) Out of the 15 only 3 of us have kept our word. So… right now I am sure you are all thinking, is she going to be able to go to Hawaii. She completed more than half of the race, and it wasn’t her fault, that she didn’t finish. Don’t worry ya’all I am thinking the same thing. I don’t know, they haven’t said a word to me about it. We shall see….



10 comments:

Nikki Taylor said...

Wait...what is going on?! What happened?!

LL said...

you know what Steph...you're MY hero and I'm not even kidding.
I admire you COMPLETELY for doing this and I'm cheering you on all the way.

Astrid said...

I saw your mom at target and told her I would create a special triathlon at my house for you to compete in, so long as you don't mind swimming in either our bathtub or our basement, depending on if the leak is finally fixed! Either way both are pretty small. We also can provide you with a bike, an Ariel bike at that . . . It had training wheels and a seat that looks like a toasted marshmallow from sitting out in the sun all day since we have no garage or storage shed.

I hope your work still takes you to Hawaii, if not, well lets just say "flaming bags of dog poo" are definitely an option around here! :)

The Palmers said...

who are you?? triathalon? second one? here i am not even renewing my gym contract. way to go!

Spencer said...

I heard about the flat tire..that stinks. I hope you still get your trip to Hawaii...if not, lets all go there together! I still think you are a good sport...I don't know if I could ride 15 miles on a bike and half of that with a flat tire.

Megan said...

HOLY CRAP. in my opinion running should only be done when you are late for a bus. And since I don't ride the bus anymore, I am exempt for physical activities. Bless your hearts. I hope you get to go to Hawaii. And your blog is hilarious by the way. I laughed so hard at your baby photo-shopping.

Karina said...

I didn't hear about what happened. So, what happened?

The Willeyes said...

I don't understand people who run on purpose:) Seriously...good for you...and I hope you get to go to Hawaii:)
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Steph how did you get your new blog background to go on all the way??????? Help me!!!!
Katie

The Willeyes said...

I LOVE your background! Where did you get it!! Come on...share...please:)
Melanie