Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fevers...NOT FUN

Now that I have showed you the pictures of the fun things that we did in Hawaii it is time to tell you what else we experienced in paradise. 
On Monday of last week, the day before we were to leave, Samantha woke up with a fever of 101.4.  I was freaking out.  I didn't know what to do I had never had to deal with this before and we were to be leaving on a vacation the very next day.  I called her Doctor, they said they didn't have any opening that day and if anything came open they would call us back.  1 hour later they called back and said bring her in and we will look at her before you go out of town.  We took her in and the Doctor looked at her (not her normal doctor might I add) and said it looks like she has a little rash on her face.  I said, yeah she has had that for about a month.  It comes and goes all the time.  She said, it looks like it is Rosela.  Well, with Rosela what happens is you will get a fever for a few days then break out with a rash.  That doesn't really make sense because she had the rash first and then the fever.  At this point I wasn't really thinking clearly or logically because I was worried that she was going to be sick on our vacation.  The Dr. reassured us that she would be fine and the fever would go away in a few days. She then began to say... sometimes when babies get fevers, and their not fussy or have any other symptoms, it could be a badder infection.  If that was the case she would have to do a catheter and she didn't want to have to put Samantha through that.  She reassured us again, and said I don't think that is what it is and sent us on our way.  
On the 4th or 5th day of our trip Sammy was taking her after noon nap.  After about 4 or 5 hours I got really worried so I went in and woke her up.  I picked her up and she felt like she was on fire.  It made me nervous so I took her temperature which came up as 104.5.  At that point I was really freaking out.  I had no idea what to do and the only thing that I could  think about is if she was to have a fever seizure.  So we franticly tried to find a hospital in Hawaii to take her to. By the time we figured everything out I had gotten her fever to go down with Tylenol and sponging her down with a cool towel.  We decided to wait and monitor and control her fever until we got home to see if she would get any better.  
We got home early Tuesday morning and called the Dr. to tell them what had happened.  They told us to bring her in immediately.  We took her in, they start doing their usually things-weighing her taking her temperature and ask me a bunch of questions.  Note her temperature was 104.5 again.  This time she doesn't have the rash, but still has the fever.  The Doctor says (new doctor) I think that we should get a urine sample to see if she has a badder infection.  You guessed it, she had to get a catheter to give a urine sample.  Not exactly the funniest thing to put her through.  Anyway, the results came back and it was positive for a badder infection.  I know what you are thinking, poor thing, if only the first Dr. would have done the test the first time which took 5 mins. she wouldn't have had to suffer for a whole week.  
That isn't all, we started her Tuesday night on the medication that the Dr. prescribed her.  You could tell that she was starting to feel much better.  This morning (Thursday) she woke up with her body covered with red splotchy patches.  I was thinking great what now.  I decided to wait a while to see if it would go away.  By 2 o'clock it hadn't gone away so I called the doctor.  By now I am really sick of going to the doctor and I am sure they are sick of me as well.  I took her in and they determined that she is allergic to the medication that we have been giving her.  So...needless to say we are starting a new medication tomorrow.  Hopefully she does ok with the new prescription and will start to feel better soon.  She has been through a lot lately, and we are hoping she starts to feel better soon. 

6 comments:

Ashlee Garn said...

HOLY PAJAMAS! Poor girl! I hope she's feeling better now! Dang...wish the Doc would have checked for a bladder infection in the first place. Oh well, at least she's got a good mommy and daddy that watch out for her!

Bart and Krista said...

I know I've said this a million times BUT I HATE it when BABIES get sick. It's so sad. Hope she starts feeling better soon!

RS Presidency said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wuxiheather said...

Holy crap I would've lost my mind! That is so scary! I would've been beside myself if Melia's fever was so high! And to have it happen away from home is the worst! I'm so sorry, I hope she starts feeling better quick!

PS sorry i had to delete the above comment because i was accidentally signed in as "rs presidency" for our ward blog.

EmmaP said...

poor baby! she seemed so happy today. i am glad she is better!

LL said...

NOOOO. Poor baby girl. Poor mom!
It's heartbreaking and SO scary when the little ones get sick. And a bladder infection, those are miserable. She MUST be a good natured baby if she wasn't screaming in pain.
Hope she's feeling better! Welcome Home.